Health and care staff can access SCRa through the Spine web portal
Summary Care Record application (SCRa) coronavirus (COVID-19) information
To help the NHS to respond to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we are providing a COVID-19 Shielded Patient Flag and including additional information in Summary Care Records for patients by default, unless they have previously told the NHS that they did not want their information to be shared.
There will also be a temporary change to include COVID-19 codes on the patient’s SCR. Users of the Summary Care Record application and SCR 1-click systems will be made aware of specific suspected and confirmed COVID-19 information by a message box displayed on the SCR.
What SCRa is
SCRa is a web based application which allows health and care professionals to view clinical and demographic information using:
- Personal Demographics Service (PDS) - including the ability to edit patient demographic information
- Summary Care Record (SCR) - core and additional information
- Child Protection - Information Sharing project (CP-IS)
- Female Genital Mutilation - Information Sharing (FGM IS)
- Overseas Visitors and Migrants (OVM)
SCRa provides a way to view a Summary Care Record (SCR).
SCR can also be accessed using integrated viewers in existing clinical systems, for example Adastra (Advanced Health and Care), Web (EMIS) and SystmOne (TPP).
How to use SCRa
To use SCRa, a user requires a smartcard, passcode and relevant role for authentication.
To access SCRa, you will need:
- a Health and Social Care Network (HSCN) (N3) connection
- to have reviewed the data security and protection toolkit (former information governance toolkit)
- a smartcard with appropriate Role Based Access Control
- local technical configuration including Identity Agent as per Warranty Environment Specification on all user PCs
- an assigned privacy officer for alert and audit purposes when viewing SCR
- agreed local processes to ensure robust governance - when viewing SCR you will need to follow the Permission to View guidelines
- to have planned training for users covering the features your organisation plans to use
Connecting community pharmacies
NHS Digital is working to make sure all community pharmacies can view Summary Care Records (SCR). See the Summary Care Record (SCR) in community pharmacy page for full details.
Please email your enquiries to: email@example.com and reference the SCRa.
SCRa is a free NHS service to provide a way for health and care professionals to access a patient’s medical information at the point of care. The use of mobile devices to access this information is being tested by limited groups of health and care professionals in a variety of settings ('private beta').