We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Use this API to access a patient's Summary Care Record (SCR) - an electronic record of important patient information, created from GP medical records. They can be seen and used by authorised staff in other areas of the health and care system involved in the patient's direct care.
Also use this API to access the Access Control Service (ACS) - which manages consent to share information for SCR. GP systems must check consent to share before sharing a patient's Summary Care Record.
- create or add to a patient's Summary Care Record - if you are a GP system
- retrieve a patient's Summary Care Record
- set and check consent to share information - via the Access Control Service (ACS)
This API can only be used where there is a legal basis to do so. Make sure you have a valid use case before you go too far with your development.
You must do this before you can go live (see ‘Onboarding’ below).
This API is stable.
We are working on a Summary Care Record FHIR API to provide an easier integration.
This API is an HL7 V3 API. It is a mixture of:
- synchronous interactions, using HL7 V3 SOAP web services
- asynchronous interactions, using HL7 V3 ebXML messaging
The synchronous pattern is used for interactions which need an immediate response and run quickly, for example:
- PSIS Document List Data Request
- PSIS Document Data Request
The asynchronous pattern is used for interactions which either don’t require an immediate response or might take longer, for example:
- Initial GP Summary
- GP Summary (add to an existing GP summary)
For more details, see HL7 V3.
You can test this API using our Path to Live environments.
You must get your software onboarded before it can go live.
As part of onboarding, this API uses the Common Assurance Process (CAP), which is tailored for each NHS service. For more details, contact us.
For details of interactions for this API:
- for SCR updates (creations and additions), see the 'GP Summary' domain in the Spine Message Implementation Manual (MIM)
- for SCR retrievals, see the 'PSIS Query' domain in the Spine Message Implementation Manual (MIM)
- for consent to share interactions (Access Control Service), see part 11 of the Spine External Interface Specification.
For details on the general structure of the interactions, see HL7 V3.