Use this pattern when:
- accessing an HL7 V3 API
- the end user is a healthcare worker
In this pattern, you use NHS CIS2 to authenticate the end user.
NHS CIS2 is an authentication service which:
- is for healthcare workers, not patients
- strongly authenticates the end user, to authentication level AAL3
- provides a variety of authentication methods, including NHS smartcards, fingerprint recognition on iPad and (coming soon) FIDO2
- is based on the Open ID Connect open standard
- is internet-facing - except when used with smartcards
NHS CIS2 can be used in conjunction with our HL7 V3 APIs.
There are some restrictions when using NHS CIS2 with NHS smartcards:
- the client device must have the Identity Agent and NHS Credential Manager (formerly Identity Hub) components installed, which are only available on Windows
- the client device must be connected to the Health and Social Care Network (HSCN), though this may change
- it only supports modern browsers
You can download the latest version of the Identity Agent from Oberthur Smartcard updates.
For more details, including detailed technical integration instructions, see NHS CIS2.