Prescribing system scope
EPS prescribing system specification
describes reduced functionality for a minimal EPS prescribing system. It's designed to allow urgent and emergency care systems to generate EPS prescriptions, but could apply to other care settings which are in scope:
- Acute (one-off) prescriptions
- Advanced electronic signatures
- One-off nomination
- Update of local patient demographic record with information from Spine Demographics
- Dictionary of Medicines and Devices (dm+d)
- Prescription cancellation
- Prescription token printing
- Reporting and information requirements
This API is an HL7 V3 API and uses:
- synchronous interactions, using HL7 V3 SOAP web services
- asynchronous interactions, using HL7 V3 ebXML messaging
The asynchronous pattern is used for interactions which either do not require an immediate response or might take longer, for example:
- prescribing system is informed of the final outcome of the cancellation request
- this is currently delivered by Spine to an MHS Endpoint and could be minutes, hours or days from the initial cancellation request
For more details, see HL7 V3.
Message Handling System (MHS) adaptor
To remove the complexity of building your own Message Handling System, we offer a pre-assured, client side MHS adaptor that you can integrate into your own infrastructure.
It makes it easier to connect to the NHS Spine and perform business operations by exposing a RESTful API that confirms to the HL7 V3 standard.
For a full list of interactions for this API, see the Medication Management v2.3.1 section in the Spine Message Implementation Manual (MIM) version 4.2.00.
Note that only the following interaction IDs are supported - the others were not implemented.
||Parent Prescription (Non-Urgent)
||Patient Prescription Release Request
||Patient Prescription Release Response
||Nominated Prescription Release Request
||Nominated Prescription Release Response
||Prescription Release Rejection
||Dispense Proposal Return
||Subsequent Cancel Response
||Dispense Claim Information
||Dispense Reimbursement Claim
||Dispense No Claim Notification
||Rebuild Dispense History
For details on the general structure of the interactions, see HL7 V3.
Before you begin any development work using this API, contact us to discuss your best options.
Last edited: 16 September 2021 1:13 pm