Become a Spine Mini Service Provider giving access to child protection information from Child Protection - Information Sharing (CP-IS) for an unscheduled care provider using our SMSP API standards. CP-IS is the national electronic database of child protection information.
Your commercially available Spine Mini Service Providers (SMSP) product will give access to CP-IS for your SMSP clients. We will list your SMSP provider service along with other conforming software products in our Conformance Catalogue.
Before you begin any development work using these API standards, contact us to discuss your best options.
These API standards can be used by unscheduled care providers as follows:
Unscheduled care providers
As an unscheduled care provider, your CP-IS SMSP clients can:
- get a patient's CP-IS information, which automatically triggers a notification to the relevant local authority.
These SMSP API standards are easier for SMSP clients to use than our CP-IS HL7 V3 API because:
- they have fewer security requirements (for example, NHS smartcards are not required)
- the onboarding process is simpler (see Onboarding below)
Scheduled care providers
CP-IS SMSP client access is not currently available for use in scheduled care settings.
CP-IS SMSP client access is not available to local authorities.
Information held in CP-IS
CP-IS holds the following information for each registered patient:
- NHS number
- details of their plan - type, start date and end date
- details of the 25 most recent CP-IS information accesses from unscheduled care settings in England
- the name of the responsible local authority - together with their office hours phone and emergency duty contact numbers
All records in CP-IS are held against the patient's NHS number. It is therefore very important to ensure you use the correct NHS number for each patient.
For more details, see CP-IS NHS number matching information.
Using SCRa as an interim measure
We prefer unscheduled care providers to integrate their applications directly with CP-IS using our CP-IS HL7 V3 API or these API standards. However, as an interim measure, you also can use our Summary Care Record application (SCRa) to access CP-IS information.
You must get your software onboarded before it can go live.
As part of onboarding, these API standards use the Target Operating Model (TOM) process, which is simpler than the traditional Common Assurance Process (CAP).
Note that in addition to SMSP provider software assurance, for clinical safety reasons, we also need to assure your SMSP clients.
For more details, and to get a copy of the latest TOM forms to complete, contact the interoperability conformance team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
For details of SMSP provider interactions, see the following downloads:
- SMSP Common Provider Requirements V1.1 - 23/09/2014 PDF
- CP-IS SMSP Provider Requirements V1.1 - 09/12/2014 PDF
For details of SMSP client interactions, to share with your clients, see the following downloads:
- SMSP Common Client Requirements - 23/09/2014 PDF
- CP-IS SMSP Client Requirements - 15/07/2014 PDF
Both SMSP providers and SMSP clients need the same response codes:
- SMSP Response Codes - 24/07/2014 XLS
Last edited: 8 November 2021 12:29 pm