We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Gazetteer Service - SOAP API
Validate or retrieve UK-based postal addresses.
Use this API to validate and retrieve UK-based postal addresses using the Gazetteer Service. Also known as the Address Finder, it can validate and transform the address to the Postcode Address File (PAF) standard, as well as search for and return an address list based on your search criteria.
- get a single search result based on the house number or name and its postcode
- get multiple search results based on partial address inputs or wild card searches
- do fuzzy searches based on the phonetics of words entered in lines of an address
- do intelligent postcode parsing to validate the underlying structure
- get the PAF address key for each delivery point
You cannot use this API to update anyone's address.
This API is stable.
This API is a SOAP API.
For more details, see Basic SOAP.
For a full list of interactions for this API, see the Gazetteer Service - EIS Part 4.