We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Education and Training Standards and self-assessment
By applying the Education and Training Standards, any health and social care training service (large or small) can be sure they are following good practice and that the quality of their training delivery and all related activities are of a high standard. The standards cover each stage of the training life cycle from identifying training needs, planning and design through to evaluation and assessment. The Standards Toolkit includes a number of templates and resources, including a self-assessment tool.
The six standards
An overview of each standard can be accessed below;
- Standard 1: Strategy and Service Improvement
- Standard 2: Planning and Learning Needs Analysis
- Standard 3: Design and Delivery
- Standard 4: Administration, Facilities and Equipment
- Standard 5: Team Management and Development
- Standard 6: Evaluation and Assessment.
Each standard is divided into five levels:
- Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 3 (Bronze)
- Level 4 (Silver)
- Level 5 (Gold)
Each level is made up of several individual requirements.
Download the standards
To download the Standards, please email us. Within your email please include:
- your name
- your organisation
- your region in the UK (or other)
- if you are an NHS organisation
The standards now include a self-assessment tool which can be used by training services to compare their current processes and activities against the standards to measure how well they are performing.
The benefits of self-assessment
- Establish an initial benchmark for the training service against which progress can be measured
- Identify where improvements can be made to training services
- Identify evidence to support the self-assessment.
Accessing the self-assessment tool
The self-assessment tool is provided with the Standards, to access these please contact the Training Quality Improvement team at NHS Digital on email@example.com