Use this API to access structured information from a patient's registered GP practice record. Structured information is patient data in a coded format that a consuming system can import and process.
The API accesses GP principal supplier systems, provides a consistent interface and data model, and is brokered through Spine.
You can retrieve data from GP practice records for the following areas:
Data is available for the following clinical areas:
- outbound referrals
- diary entries
- uncategorised data (other clinically coded items that are present in the record)
These clinical areas are still in development; there is enough data to test, but it is subject to change as GP systems suppliers go through the development process.
It does not include:
- extended demographics information - for example, about carers
- flags and alerts
- test requests
Common use cases include:
- access GP medications on admission to secondary care, reducing transcription errors
- active checking of a patient's prescription in unscheduled care
- out-of-hours GP accesses patient's medications, allergies and problems
- midwife views patient record before visiting a patient
- community cardiac nurse accesses GP record before visiting a patient
For more details, see the GP Connect Access Record: Structured specification.
You cannot currently use this API to:
- create patient-facing views of a medical record
- create reports for secondary use, such as care planning
- write back to the GP record
To retrieve documents from a patient's registered GP practice, use GP Connect Access Document - FHIR API. After you've found the relevant document references within Access Record returns, use GP Connect Access Document to retrieve the documents. All documents can be requested separately.