This section looks at how the availability and affordability of tobacco has changed over time, expenditure on tobacco, the value of the illicit tobacco market, and where young people get cigarettes. The data sources included are as follows:
- Availability of tobacco, and illicit tobacco sales data for the UK is extracted from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) statistical bulletins.
- Affordability of tobacco in the UK has been calculated using information on tobacco price and retail price indices taken from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) consumer price indices and households’ disposable income datasets.
- ONS Consumer Trends gives annual figures for UK household expenditure on tobacco and total household expenditure.
- ONS Family Spending in the UK statistical bulletin, for data on weekly expenditure on cigarettes.
- Data on where young people (secondary school pupils aged 11 to 15) get cigarettes is taken from the Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use among Young People survey (SDD).