We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Statistics on Smoking - England , 2018 [PAS]National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 3 Jul 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Local Authorities, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 1980 to 31 Mar 2018
This report presents a range of information on smoking by adults and children drawn together from a variety of sources for England. More information can be found in the source publications which contain a wider range of data and analysis.
Newly published information includes:
* NHS Digital: National smoking related admissions from Hospital Episode Statistics (HES).
* NHS Digital: Prescription items used to help people stop smoking from prescribing data.
* NHS Digital: Statistics on smoking related deaths and affordability of tobacco, compiled using existing data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
* NHS Digital: Statistics on Women’s Smoking Status at Time of Delivery (SATOD).
* ONS: Adult Smoking Habits.
The latest information from already published sources includes:
* Public Health England (PHE): Local Authority smoking related admissions and deaths data from the Local Tobacco Control Profiles.
* NHS Digital: NHS Stop Smoking Services (SSS).
* NHS Digital: Smoking Drinking and Drug Use amongst young people (SDD).
* NHS Digital: Health Survey for England (HSE).
* Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): Health at a Glance.
All data is for England unless otherwise stated.
More information can be found in the source publications which contain a wider range of data and analysis.
Most figures quoted have been rounded to the nearest whole number. Data sources may quote unrounded figures.