The MHSDS is a patient level, output based, secondary uses data set which aims to deliver robust, comprehensive, nationally consistent and comparable person-based information for children, young people and adults who are in contact with services for mental health and wellbeing, Learning Disability, autism or other neurodevelopmental conditions.
As a secondary uses data set it re-uses clinical and operational data for purposes other than direct patient care, for example: commissioning, service improvement and service design. It defines the data items, definitions and associated value sets extracted or derived from local information systems.
All activity relating to patients of any age who receive care for a suspected or diagnosed mental health and wellbeing need, Learning Disability, autism or other neurodevelopmental conditions is within scope of the MHSDS.
It may be that the person has:
- A mental health need or is being supported for their mental wellbeing including;
- Gambling addiction and substance misuse (out of scope for MHSDS v4.1 but in scope for MHSDS v5.0)
- Children and young people’s mental health services
- Mental health support teams working in schools and colleges
- Any combination of mental health, Learning Disability or autism needs
Record level data submission requirements for each patient accessing services, based on location and funding source, are as follows;
Services in England:
- if the person is wholly funded by the NHS – data submission for that person is mandatory
- if the person is partially funded by the NHS – data submission for that person is mandatory
- if the person is wholly funded by any means that is not NHS – data submission is optional
Services outside England:
- if the patient is attending a service located outside England, but commissioned by an English CCG, NHS England specialised commissioner or an NHS-led Provider Collaborative, data submission is optional but may be a requirement of the commissioning arrangements
- for example, this would include providers that are near English borders that routinely provide services to English patients and are claiming funding from English commissioners
Out of scope
Adult Psychological Therapies are currently out of scope of the MHSDS as this activity is covered by the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) dataset.
Full details of in scope and out of scope services for the current version of the MHSDS (MHSDS v4.1) can found in MHSDS Requirements Specification document, which is available to download from the MHSDS information standard web page.