Who can use this API
This API can be used by developers of clinical systems that support clinicians delivering direct care. It is not a patient-facing API.
Before you start development, read the Appointment Management section of the GP Connect v1.2.7 specification, which includes Foundations, and the prerequisites listed below.
Information governance (IG)
- be compliant with the GP Connect Direct Care API Information Governance Model
- manage access to your system locally using local role-based access control (RBAC). This does not need to be compliant with the national RBAC model and GP Connect products do not require smartcards to control access, though they can be used if already implemented
- be using the GP Connect APIs for direct care purposes for NHS patients in England
If you are confident that you can meet the prerequisites, contact us to express your interest. See 'Onboarding' below.
Expressing an interest
If you meet the prerequisites and have a product that can integrate with GP Connect, you should express an interest with us by submitting a use case.
The main purpose of the use case is to help us understand how you plan to use GP Connect APIs and the business issue you are looking to address. You should email your use case to us at email@example.com.
Your use case should include the following information as a minimum:
- the business problem you are intending to solve using GP Connect
- how GP Connect will be used in practice to benefit patients and staff
- which of the GP Connect products you will use to benefit patients and staff
- any end user organisations you are currently working with
- who your clinical safety officer is and, where available, your clinical risk management process documentation
Once we receive your use case, we'll respond within 14 days.
Consumer assurance process
Once we approve your use case, we support you through the assurance process to go live. We will discuss the assurance process and artefacts with you to help you understand our requirements.
Start your development work within 6 months of use case approval. If you miss this date, a review or new submission of the use case will be required. Changes or additional development will also require a review or new use case submission.
Last edited: 16 December 2022 4:52 pm