Viewing Summary Care Records (SCR)
Viewing the SCR
An SCR should only be viewed if the user is involved in the patient's care. This is called a 'legitimate relationship'. The patient should always be asked for their consent before viewing. This is called 'permission to view'. The only exception to this is in an emergency where the patient can't give their permission but looking at their SCR would be in their best interest. For more information see information governance in SCR.
Users must have smartcards with the correct codes enabled and a connection to the secure NHS network. Users should:
- log on to SCR on the Spine through the system in use in their organisation, using their Smartcard
- choose the correct role, if they have more than one
- search for the patient, using NHS number if possible
- ask for the patient's permission to view the SCR and record it, or choose the emergency access option if the patient is unconscious or can't answer, and add a note.
The Summary Care Record will then show details of current medication and allergies. The patient may also have chosen to include additional information in their SCR. This provides more information about the patient's medical history.
Download a brief guide to viewing SCR [178.13KB]
Ways to connect to SCR on the Spine
Users can view the SCR using:
- the standalone web viewer, the SCRa on the Spine web portal
- an integrated viewer within an existing clinical system - available in:
- Adastra (Advanced Health and Care)
- CLEO (CLEOsystems24)
- Web (EMIS)
- Symphony (Ascribe)
- SystmOne (TPP)
- one-click functionality within systems to launch the SCRa from within an existing system - available in:
- Servelec RiO
- Lorenzo (CSC)
- links to Spine within systems using the Spine mini service.
Setting up your healthcare organisation to view SCRs
If you are interested in setting up your organisation so that your staff can view SCR information, contact the SCR team at NHS Digital: email@example.com
The process will vary, but as a guide you will need to:
- discuss and agree sites where SCR capability will be set up
- assess IT systems to find the best technical solutions
- decide what training staff need and how to provide it
- identify which staff should have access and make sure they have the correct Role Based Access Control codes on their smartcards
- appoint and train a privacy officer for the organisation, who will monitor SCR access - for more information see information governance in SCR
Viewing SCR in community pharmacy
NHS Digital is currently working to make sure all community pharmacies can view the SCR, and there is a dedicated community pharmacy team.