Organisations involved in the delivery and improvement of health and/or social care can apply to us for licences. This includes suppliers who provide services or software.
If you are unsure if your organisation qualifies for licences from us please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Licences are obtained by following a simple 2-step process:-
Step 1: Registration
Before you can apply for any licences you must first register your organisation with the NHS Digital Copyright Licensing Service.
Please follow the instructions below carefully:-
- you must read and fully understand the Sub-Licence General Terms Agreement, These are the legal conditions that you will be accepting
- fully complete page 1 of the form, making sure you read the definitions of Applicant Type on page 2 (section C) carefully. These definitions are specific to this registration process and are not the usual NHS definitions
- make sure the Applicant is someone senior enough in your organisation to enter into a binding legal agreement with NHS Digital (usually Director-level or Head of Service, for example) - additional users can be registered later
- the form must contain the Applicant’s own email address and not that of an assistant or deputy
- obtain the Applicant's signature in wet ink in the Licensee section on page 8
- scan and email the completed form to email@example.com with the subject 'New Registration Request' and the name of your organisation
- please ensure that all 8 pages of the form are returned to us
- the form must be emailed from the Applicant’s mailbox – the legal agreement must be communicated directly with the Applicant
- if you are unable to email it, please post it to: NHS Digital Copyright Licensing Service, c/o Commercial Support, 1st Floor, 1 Trevelyan Square, Boar Lane, Leeds, LS1 6AE
- if you choose to post the form please also email us to let us know to expect it
This can lead to a significant delay, so email is preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: The £1 fee mentioned in the documentation is a nominal fee and no payment is expected.
After you send the form:
- an authorised signatory from NHS Digital will sign and date the agreement to make it binding
- after the agreement has been signed a scanned copy will be sent for your records within 10 working days
- we will also send your organisation's unique Licensing Service ID - you must keep this safe as it's needed to request specific licences for the tools and measures
- we will also ask you for details of who you wish to request licences within your organisation (ie, approved users)
Registrations can be refused or delayed if you do not follow the instructions above carefully.
Step 2: Requesting tools and measures
After registering with the Copyright Licensing Service any approved users can apply for licences by:
Your organisation's unique Licensing Service ID, supplied when registering with us, will be required.
Your organisation must adhere to the legal terms of the agreements, together with any specific conditions that the Copyright Owner has requested.
These will be sent to you when you request the licences and must be read thoroughly. They do not need to be signed and returned.
Your application for licences for individual tools may be refused and we will always tell you why. If this happens we will help you contact the Copyright Owner directly (see the next section).