To get started as an API consumer, see the developer hub.
You can use the NHS Digital API platform to expose APIs for:
- NHS Digital back-end applications
- third party back-end applications
You can use it to:
- publish your API documentation
- provide a technical 'front door' for your API
- provide digital onboarding for your API or other service
You don't have to do all three - for example you might want to just publish your API documentation, or just use digital onboarding.
You can only use the API platform for APIs or services that support the delivery of health and care for the NHS in England - although there are some exceptions to this rule.
We operate a 'platform' model - you build and run your own API, using our tools and with our help and support.
The API platform is centrally funded - it's free of charge for NHS Digital and third party API producers. This is subject to a reasonable use policy, and also might change in the future.
To get started as an API producer, see our API producer zone.
Currently, you need an NHS Digital Confluence account to access the API producer zone. To get access, contact us. In the meantime, you can download:
- our API Producer Overview slide deck
- a snapshot of the API producer zone as a PDF file - taken on 29 April 2022 and with some sensitive information removed