We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data - England, 2005-06Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 28 Sep 2006
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- GP practices, Dental practices, Pharmacies and clinics, Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, Clinical Commissioning Regions, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2005 to 31 Mar 2006
If you are already familiar with QOF, you can go straight to the information you need using the resources listed above.
If you are new to QOF, we recommend you read the QOF information page.
This publication includes Eastern England level-specific data for QOF 2005-2006. For links to all QOF data for 2005-2006, see The Quality and Outcomes Framework, 2005-06.
You can also browse the QOF online database to find results for your local surgery. The national Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) is based on the best available research evidence.
The QOF is not about performance management of general practice but about resourcing and then rewarding good practice. The QOF measures achievement against 146 indicators and three measures of depth of care. Practices score points on the basis of achievement against each indicator, up to a maximum of 1,050 points.
The QOF became part of general practice contracts on 1 April 2004 and therefore 2005/06 represents the second year for which QOF information is available. Details of the GMS contract can be found on the Department of Health (DH) website (see section 6 of this bulletin). QOF achievement for 2005/06 is presented for 8,409 general practices in England. This includes practices that had data automatically extracted by the QMAS system in March 2006, and data adjustments for the year 2005/06 submitted between April and June 2006. A number of practices were excluded from the published tables, at the request of PCTs, where QOF achievement for 2005/06 was still subject to local agreement - more details are available on The Information Centre's web site.
Achievement figures for 2005/06 presented throughout this bulletin are based on 8,409 practices. Where comparisons are made with 2004/05 achievement, note that there were 8,576 practices on the 2004/05 dataset.
The Information Centre collates the data on GP practice results and presents it in three forms
- A 2005/06 QOF statistical bulletin containing details of the QOF Achievement results, summarising the main findings for the year.
- for healthcare professionals and other researchers wanting further analysis, 2005/06 QOF data detailed spreadsheets are available for all components of the QOF, including achievement for specific chronic diseases. The spreadsheets are available at the level of: general practice, primary care trust (PCT), and strategic. health authority (with an England summary).
- An easy-to-use online database that allows patients to see how well their GP practice is achieving.
The average QOF points achieved by general practices in England was 1,010.5 points, representing 96.2 per cent of the total 1,050 points available to each practice.
The average points achieved for the clinical domain was 534.2 points (97.1 per cent of the maximum 550 available).
Data on prevalence in 11 disease areas is presented for 8,406 practices in England. The highest recorded prevalence rate was for hypertension (12 per cent of patients registered with these practices).
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, SHA level
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, PCT level
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, Eastern England
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, North East England
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, North West England
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, London
- National Quality and Outcomes Framework Achievement Data for England 2005-06, Southern England