We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Data on Written Complaints in the NHS - 2015-16National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 15 Sep 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospital and Community Health Services, Hospital Trusts, Hospital Sites, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts, GP practices, Regions, Dental practices
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2005 to 31 Mar 2016
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure.
This collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients, received between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2016.
From 2015-16 the KO41a (Hospital & Community Health Service) collection has changed from an annual collection to quarterly, the levels of detail have also changed. As a result data for 2015-16 is classed as Experimental Statistics.
Also published on the same day is the 2016-17 Quarter 1 data for HCHS complaints, the link to this report is in the links below.
• The total number of all reported written complaints in 2015-16 was 198,739. This is the equivalent to 3,822 written complaints a week or 544 complaints per day.
• The total number of all HCHS written complaints was 116,180 in 2015-16. This is a fall of 4,598 (3.8 per cent) from last year and the first fall since 2010-11.
• The total number of all reported FHS written complaints has decreased by 4,070 (4.7 per cent) from 86,629 in 2014-15 to 82,559 in 2015-16.