We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
As well as providing timely data, it presents a wide range of information about care given to users of NHS-funded, secondary mental health and learning disability services for adults and older people ('secondary mental health and learning disability services') in England.
The release comprises:
- an executive summary which presents some national-level time series information;
- a monthly data file which presents 40 measures by provider, clinical commissioning group (CCG), local authority and provider/CCG pairings from the most recent month's final data;
- a currency and payment file that contains 75 measures (including calculated measures) to support the implementation of currencies and payment in mental health. These measures include the 10 national recommended quality and outcome indicators, along with other measures to add context;
- a set of provider level data quality measures (also presented for provisional data for the month ahead);
- a background data quality report to help users assess the quality of specific information;
- a detailed metadata file, which provides contextual information for each measure, including a full description, current uses, and the method used for analysis.
This information will be of particular interest to organisations involved in the delivery of secondary mental health and learning disability services, as it presents timely information to support discussions between providers and commissioners of services.
For patients, researchers, agencies and the wider public it aims to provide up to date information about the numbers of people using services, spending time in psychiatric hospitals and subject to the Mental Health Act (MHA). Some of these measures are currently experimental analysis.
All the measures can be produced from analysis of the monthly extracts supplied to providers and commissioners with access to the Bureau Service on the Open Exeter system, although many measures use data from previous submissions.
This page provides links to NHS Digital publications on secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services.
Find provider and commissioner extracts, and publications, from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS).
All providers of specialist secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism spectrum disorder services should submit to the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS). This page explains how.
This monthly statistical release makes available the most recent MHSDS data from January 2016 onwards and replaces the Monthly MHLDS Reports (last published in February). The release provides the most up to date information available about care given to users of NHS funded secondary mental health, learning disability and autism services for all ages in England.
Tools and guidance to help mental health service providers implement the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS). It also includes how to submit data, what data is required and the SNOMED CT codes used.