The data gathered from the collections will be processed and displayed via analytics dashboards. The data is available to a variety of NHS procurement, finance and clinical users.
The analytical information will more effectively enable NHS Improvement to help providers reduce cost and improve the quality of their services.
The Spend Comparison Service will:
- inform strategic programmes led by Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT), NHS Improvement and NHS Supply Chain
- inform NHS national aggregation initiatives such as Nationally Contracted Products
- help providers maximise their use of resources and become more efficient, as required by the provider licence
- help identify the relationship between patient characteristics and cost
- support an approach to benchmarking for regulatory purposes