We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Getting your NHS Number
When you register with a GP practice you'll receive a letter with your NHS Number.
If you are not able to find your NHS Number, contact your GP practice for help.
It is not possible to find your NHS Number online.
Benefits of using the NHS Number
- accurately links the patient to their record
- enables transfer of patient records electronically using GP2GP
- enables referrals using the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS)
- helps the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) send electronic prescriptions from GP surgeries to pharmacists
- identifies patients in all contact with other health and social care providers
- helps create and maintain a complete record for each patient
- enables patient information to be shared safely within and across organisational boundaries
- allocating an NHS number to babies helps link their healthcare records for life
Social care organisations
- accurately identifies service users
- as the only national unique patient identifier, it helps create a complete record, linking every episode of care across health and social care organisations
- safe and efficient coordination of social care with healthcare
Personal Demographics Service (PDS) database
Authorised NHS Staff with a Smartcard can access the Personal Demographics Service (PDS) database - this is the national online database for NHS patient information. It's used by NHS staff to identify patients.
The standards for the NHS Number are set by ISB 0149: NHS Number.
Find out about our simple client and java code library, designed to make it easier to model NHS Numbers in software.