How our charges are calculated
NHS Digital is publicly funded and we operate on a cost-recovery basis. We do not charge for data but we do apply charges to cover the cost of processing and delivering our service. We ensure charges are applied fairly and consistently, broadly determined by the amount of effort and approvals required.
Charges are calculated on the following components:
- the type of application
- the volume of data requested
- the frequency that you require data to be disseminated
Actual costs will be agreed with the customer during the application process.
1 Applies only to agreements covering more than one year, and is charged per every complete year beyond the first year. For example 13 months = one review, 25 months = two reviews.
2 In addition to standard datasets, such as HES Outpatient and DIDS, this term covers:
- reports, for example ONS Mortality/Civil Registration or PROMs - these are provided as individual discrete reports (not necessarily defined by data years), and are charged per report
- bridging files, such as HES to ONS Mortality - not defined by data years, these are charged per number of actual bridge files required and their frequency
- work packages, such as Mental Health Data
The Standard Extract Service has been replaced with the provision of regular bespoke extracts, which helps to minimise the data required. It is now costed as a number of individual extracts.
3 Applies for each delivery of data (each of which may include multiple datasets). This charge does not apply to medical research reports.
4 Includes linking multiple customer datasets, linking customer (or NHS Digital developed cohorts) to NHS Digital data. The linkage fee is charged each time customer data is linked and each time an extract is produced - for example, linking customer data to 3 HES datasets as well as SUS PbR will result in a linkage fee for linkage to HES as well as a linkage fee for linkage to SUS PbR (based on one dissemination of the linked datasets). If more than one dissemination is required, the linkage fees are chargeable each time for each dissemination.
Last edited: 7 April 2021 11:13 am