We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Clinical Decision Support API standards
API standards to support the triage and onward referral of patients who are interacting with Urgent and Emergency Care services, such as NHS 111.
Use these API standards to support the triage and onward referral of patients who are interacting with Urgent and Emergency Care services such as NHS 111.
These API standards support:
- self-triage by the patient
- triage by non-clinical staff, such as call handlers
- triage by clinicians
They support the following interactions:
- triage through a series of questions and responses to determine the correct outcome or onward referral for the patient
- directory look-up to identify services that can meet the need or outcome identified for the patient
- onward referral of the patient to the appropriate healthcare service along with an encounter report that contains structured triage and other information
Before you begin any development work using these API standards, contact us to discuss your best options.
|Date||Name||Version||Status & Notes||Links|
Clinical Decision Support API
|Current version of the specification||https://developer.nhs.uk/apis/cds-api/|