1. ONS: Opinions and Lifestyle Survey
2. The Health Survey for England also provides an alternative source of smoking prevalence data, but is not used for this purpose in this report.
3. From approximately 7.7 million (2011) to 5.9 million (2018). Based on the weighted adult population in England for the respective years.
4. Unemployed people are those who are not currently in work but who are looking for work. Inactive contains those who are not in work, and not looking for work. This includes retired people and students.
5. Smoking prevalence estimates by LA tend to fluctuate each year due to small samples sizes producing a larger degree of statistical uncertainty.
6. Based on persons aged 15 and over, or closest available equivalent.
7. 2017 or nearest available year.
For more information on the data in this section: