For the coverage period 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017.
Participation and Coverage
- There have been 169,127 PROMs-eligible hip and knee replacement procedures carried out in hospitals1 ,and 153,015 pre-operative questionnaires returned so far, a headline participation rate of 90.5 per cent (91.9 per cent for 2015-16).
- For the 153,015 pre-operative questionnaires returned, 145,244 post-operative questionnaires were sent out2, of which 103,227 have been returned so far - a return rate of 71.1 per cent3 (75.7 per cent for 2015-16).
Web Platform Tool
NHS Digital are using Microsoft's Power Bi to create an interactive web platform tools to surface our data. PROMs data can be accessed by clicking the image below.
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-5D Index' scores (a combination of five key criteria concerning patients' self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 88.8 per cent of hip replacement respondents (88.4 per cent for 2015-16)
- 80.9 per cent of knee replacement respondents (80.7 per cent for 2015-16)
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-VAS' values (the current state of the patient's self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 67.2 per cent of hip replacement respondents (65.6 per cent for 2015-16)
- 57.5 per cent of knee replacement respondents (56.4 per cent for 2015-16)
Comparing pre- and post-operative responses to condition-specific questions, improvements in patients' conditions were recorded for:
- 96.4 per cent of hip replacement respondents (96.5 per cent for 2015-16) ['Oxford Hip Score']
- 93.5 per cent of knee replacement respondents (93.6 per cent for 2015-16) ['Oxford Knee Score']
- An 'eligible procedure' is counted for each episode in HES in the period in question which has been clinically coded with relevant hip, knee, varicose vein or groin hernia OPCS procedure codes which make it suitable for inclusion in PROMs. Some patients may have undergone more than one PROMs procedure in a single eligible episode, hence there will be more procedures than episodes: this is the case for 69 of the 264,120 procedures.
- Not every pre-operative questionnaire will have a post-operative questionnaire sent out, for various reasons including the cancellation of an operation or the death of the patient.
- This will be an underestimate of the true rate due to the time delay in returning post-operative questionnaires.