We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Provisional Quarterly Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) in England - April 2015 to March 2016, August 2016 releaseOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 11 Aug 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 31 Mar 2016
Patients undergoing elective inpatient surgery for four common elective procedures (hip and knee replacement, varicose vein surgery and groin hernia surgery) funded by the English NHS are asked to complete questionnaires before and after their operations to assess improvement in health as perceived by the patients themselves.
Extended analyses of the latest finalised data are published three times a year as 'special topics'. The latest, 'Rates of Attrition 2013-14', was published on 12 May 2016.
Update 01/02/2017: This publication has been updated since initial publication in August 2016 in order to rectify a problem with the data discovered within the 'time-series' CSV file contained within the data pack.
Data for the 2013/14 year were found to be incorrect due to being based on an earlier provisional dataset rather than the expected finalised data. It is therefore advised that any analysis undertaken which includes the 2013/14 data be refreshed. All other years' data within the file were correct. All other files, the national level key-facts and the interactive maps included in this publication are unaffected.??
For the coverage period 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016.
Participation and Coverage
- There have been 262,995 PROMs-eligible procedures carried out in hospitals1 and 195,353 pre-operative questionnaires returned so far, a headline participation rate of 74.3 per cent (76.2 per cent for 2013-14).
- For the 195,353 pre-operative questionnaires returned, 129,417 post-operative questionnaires were sent out2, of which 86,138 have been returned so far - a return rate of 66.6 per cent3 (73.6 per cent for 2013-14).
Click this screenshot to see average casemix-adjusted health gains and statistical outliers by hospital providers:
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-5D Index' scores (a combination of five key criteria concerning patients' self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 50.0 per cent of groin hernia respondents (49.7 per cent for 2013-14)
- 88.7 per cent of hip replacement respondents (87.9 per cent for 2013-14)
- 80.8 per cent of knee replacement respondents (80.3 per cent for 2013-14)
- 52.6 per cent of varicose vein respondents (51.8 per cent for 2013-14)
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-VAS' values (the current state of the patient's self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 37.4 per cent of groin hernia respondents (37.3 per cent for 2013-14)
- 65.1 per cent of hip replacement respondents (64.2 per cent for 2013-14)
- 55.3 per cent of knee replacement respondents (54.6 per cent for 2013-14)
- 40.6 per cent of varicose vein respondents (39.9 per cent for 2013-14)
Comparing pre- and post-operative responses to condition-specific questions, improvements in patients' conditions were recorded for:
- [There is no condition-specific scoring for groin hernia patients.]
- 96.7 per cent of hip replacement respondents (96.0 per cent for 2013-14) ['Oxford Hip Score']
- 93.7 per cent of knee replacement respondents (93.0 per cent for 2013-14) ['Oxford Knee Score']
- 82.2 per cent of varicose vein respondents (82.9 per cent for 2013-14) ['Aberdeen Varicose Vein Questionnaire']
- An 'eligible procedure' is counted for each episode in HES in the period in question which has been clinically coded with relevant hip, knee, varicose vein or groin hernia OPCS procedure codes which make it suitable for inclusion in PROMs. Some patients may have undergone more than one PROMs procedure in a single eligible episode, hence there will be more procedures than episodes: this is the case for 63 of the 241,572 procedures.
- Not every pre-operative questionnaire will have a post-operative questionnaire sent out, for various reasons including the cancellation of an operation or the death of the patient.
- This will be an underestimate of the true rate due to the time delay in returning post-operative questionnaires.