We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Provisional Monthly Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) in England - April 2015 to September 2015Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 11 Feb 2016
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 30 Sep 2015
Patients undergoing elective inpatient surgery for four common elective procedures (hip and knee replacement, varicose vein surgery and groin hernia surgery) funded by the English NHS are asked to complete questionnaires before and after their operations to assess improvement in health as perceived by the patients themselves.
Extended analyses of the latest finalised data are published three times a year as 'special topics'. The latest, A Study on Varicose Vein Treatments, Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) in England, was published on 11 February 2016.
Update 22/2/2016: This publication has been updated to correct an error on the key facts tab of the 2015/16 provisional score comparison spreadsheet where provider level data were not displaying but showing up as an error message. This has now been corrected.
This follows an update on 15 February to correct an issue on the key facts tab where percentages were displayed incorrectly after being multiplied by 100, the numerator and denominator that derive these percentages are displayed correctly.
Data in all other tabs and the provisional 2014/15 publication are unaffected.?
Click this screenshot to see average casemix-adjusted health gains and statistical outliers by hospital providers:
For the coverage period 1 April 2015 to 30 September 2015.
Participation and Coverage
- There have been 107,291 PROMs-eligible procedures carried out in hospitals1 and 78,698 pre-operative questionnaires returned so far, a headline participation rate of 73.4 per cent (76.2 per cent for 2013-14).
- For the 78,698 pre-operative questionnaires returned, 27,136 post-operative questionnaires were sent out2, of which 8,391 have been returned so far - a return rate of 30.9 per cent3 (73.6 per cent for 2013-14).
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-5D Index' scores (a combination of five key criteria concerning patients' self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 50.2 per cent of groin hernia respondents (49.7 per cent for 2013-14)
- 90.4 per cent of hip replacement respondents (87.9 per cent for 2013-14)
- 82.0 per cent of knee replacement respondents (80.3 per cent for 2013-14)
- 54.6 per cent of varicose vein respondents (51.8 per cent for 2013-14)
Comparing pre- and post-operative 'EQ-VAS' values (the current state of the patient's self-reported general health), an increase in general health was recorded for:
- 37.1 per cent of groin hernia respondents (37.3 per cent for 2013-14)
- 64.0 per cent of hip replacement respondents (64.2 per cent for 2013-14)
- 55.9 per cent of knee replacement respondents (54.6 per cent for 2013-14)
- 40.2 per cent of varicose vein respondents (39.9 per cent for 2013-14)
Comparing pre- and post-operative responses to condition-specific questions, improvements in patients' conditions were recorded for:
- [There is no condition-specific scoring for groin hernia patients.]
- 96.8 per cent of hip replacement respondents (96.0 per cent for 2013-14) ['Oxford Hip Score']
- 94.2 per cent of knee replacement respondents (93.0 per cent for 2013-14) ['Oxford Knee Score']
- 84.0 per cent of varicose vein respondents (82.9 per cent for 2013-14) ['Aberdeen Varicose Vein Questionnaire']
- An 'eligible procedure' is counted for each episode in HES in the period in question which has been clinically coded with relevant hip, knee, varicose vein or groin hernia OPCS procedure codes which make it suitable for inclusion in PROMs. Some patients may have undergone more than one PROMs procedure in a single eligible episode, hence there will be more procedures than episodes: this is the case for 28 of the 107,291 procedures.
- Not every pre-operative questionnaire will have a post-operative questionnaire sent out, for various reasons including the cancellation of an operation or the death of the patient.
- This will be an underestimate of the true rate due to the time delay in returning post-operative questionnaires.