All patients are also asked to complete two general measures, the EQ-5DTM Index and the EQ VAS, both before and after their surgery:
EQ-5DTM Index is a five item measure that asks patients about their:
- ability to pursue their usual activities;
- current experience of anxiety and/or depression, if any;
- current experience of pain and discomfort, if any;
- mobility, and;
- ability to wash and dress themselves (self-care).
EQ – Visual Analogue Scale (EQ VAS) is a single-item ‘thermometer’-style measure which asks patients to rate their general health at the time of completion on a linear scale from 0 to 100, with 100 representing the best possible state of health.
Within their post-operative questionnaires, all patients are also asked:
- how they would describe the results of their operation (satisfaction), and;
- how their problems are now, compared with before the operation (success).