We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Vacancy Statistics England - February 2015 - March 2018, Provisional Experimental StatisticsExperimental statistics, Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 26 Jul 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Ambulance Trusts, Regional health body, Care Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Health Education England Region
- Date Range:
- 01 Feb 2015 to 31 Mar 2018
This is the latest provisional experimental publication of NHS vacancy statistics created from administrative data related to published vacancy adverts obtained from NHS Jobs, the main recruitment website for the NHS.
The statistics referred to in this document and the accompanying tables are exploratory and provide information on the administrative data available from NHS Jobs as much as on the recruitment of staff. This publication provides figures which are an insight to recruitment in the NHS but which should be treated with caution, though the expanded time series now allows users to consider relative changes over time.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating NHS Workforce Vacancy Statistics as the subject heading, via email@example.com or 0300 303 5678
• In March 2018 there were 28,998 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England published, this compares to 30,613 in 2017, 26,424 in 2016 and 26,406 in 2015.
• In quarter 1 2018 (1 January 2018 – 31 March 2018) there were 87,478 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England. Of these 82 per cent (71,421) were permanent and 18 per cent (16,057) were fixed-term.
• The number of advertised vacancy full time equivalents varied between the National Workforce Data Set (NWD) Staff Groups. In March 2018 the highest percentage was seen in the ‘Nursing and Midwifery Registered’ Staff Group which accounted for 40 per cent (11,483 out of 28,998) of vacancy full-time equivalents followed by 21 per cent (6,092 out of 28,998) in the ‘Administrative and Clerical’ Staff Group.