The National Workforce Data Set version 2.8 includes updates to the Data Set which can be summarised as:
- the inclusion of new values within existing elements (affecting Job Role, Occupation Code, Nationality, Absence Type, Vacancy Status);
- the renaming of existing values within elements (affecting Job Role, Occupation Code, Nationality, Reason Sickness Absence);
- the retiring of existing values and one element (affecting Job Role, Occupation Code, Area of Work, Nationality and the Group Code element);
- the replacement of one element with another within the Data Dictionary (changing from Person Gender Code at Registration to Person Stated Gender Code);
- improving guidance and presentation (relating to Absence Category, Absence Type, Reason Sickness Absence and Ethnic Category); and
- updates to the guidance notes and other housekeeping work that does not materially change the approved standard for both the NHS Occupation Codes and the NWD specification.
Full details including associated guidance, can be found in the following documents:
A copy of the Information Standards Notice (SCCI1067 Amd 21/2015) and further information relating to these changes can be found on the NHS Digital website.
Further information and guidance:
National Workforce Data Set (NWD) Version 2.7 - Changes (Amd 22/2013)
The National Workforce Data Set version 2.7 includes updates to the data set which are required to meet the following policy and practice requirements:
- Area of Work changes related to the retrospective correction of the Primary Area of Work associated with six new Secondary and Tertiary values introduced in NWD version 2.6 to improve the information available regarding the Healthcare Scientist Workforce and to better reflect the structure of this element of the workforce following the implementation of Modernising Scientific Careers;
- The renaming of two Job Roles for low intensity Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) staff as the first stage of a review of this element of the NHS workforce;
- The creation of new values for Destination on Leaving and Source of Recruitment of 'Third Sector' to reflect the changing nature of the provision of healthcare within England;
- Renaming of the Accident and Emergency Specialty to match the statutorily defined main specialty title;
- Removal of a superfluous Public Health Medicine Specialty value to leave only the one value for the coding of these staff;
- Updates to the guidance notes and other housekeeping work that does not materially change the approved standard for both the NHS Occupation Codes and the NWD specification.
Full details including associated guidance, can be found in the documents below:
- NWD v2.7 data set specification
- National Workforce Data Set v2.7 Implementation Guidance
- NHS Occupation Code Manual v14
A copy of the ISN and further information relating to these changes can be found on the Information Standards Board website.
Responsibility for the recommendation for approval of information standards has transferred to the Standardisation Committee for Care Information (SCCI). For further details visit the Information Standards, Data Collections & Data Extractions - National Governance section on this website.
The approved information standards in the standards library on the website remain current and will continue to be updated, to mark items as superseded, on approval of changes by SCCI.