We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Vacancy Statistics England February 2015 - September 2019, Experimental StatisticsExperimental statistics, Official statistics, Survey
- Publication Date:
- 28 Nov 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Health Education England Region, Hospital Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Regional health body, NHS Trusts, Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Feb 2015 to 30 Sep 2019
Due to current resource constraints and organisational changes at NHS Digital, the Workforce Team are having to focus on priority areas of work whilst new and additional requests for work continue to grow. Therefore, during this period of change, the scope of the next two publications in the series (due for release at the end of November 2019 and February 2020) will be considerably reduced.
These upcoming publications will therefore be limited to include:
- High-level Key Facts for NHS Jobs data
- The standard CSV file for NHS Jobs data which normally accompanies the publication
- A truncated Excel file containing NHS Improvement management information only
During this pause, NHS Digital will work on making improvements to the publication, primarily focusing on working with TRAC to incorporate their data into the compendium publication for the first time in May 2020; exploring what more can be done with data from ESR; and improving the NHS Jobs data tables.
Please refer to previous publications in the series for more detailed information.
To help with the development of this publication, feedback is continually welcomed and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘NHS Vacancy Statistics publication feedback’.
- In September 2019 there were 28,488 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England published, this compares to 28,623 in 2018, 28,242 in 2017, 29,309 in 2016 and 26,982 in 2015.
- Between 1 July 2019 – 30 September 2019 there were 92,149 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England. Of these 84 per cent (77,188) were permanent and 16 per cent (14,961) were fixed-term.
- The number of advertised vacancy full-time equivalents varied between the National Workforce Data Set (NWD) Staff Groups. In September 2019 the highest percentage was seen in the ‘Nursing and Midwifery Registered’ Staff Group which accounted for 40 per cent (11,482 out of 28,488) of vacancy full-time equivalents followed by 20 per cent (5,715 out of 28,488) in the ‘Administrative and Clerical’ Staff Group.