We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Vacancy Statistics England, February 2015 - June 2019, Provisional Experimental StatisticsExperimental statistics, Official statistics, Survey
- Publication Date:
- 29 Aug 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Health Education England Region, Hospital Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Regional health body, NHS Trusts, Country, Strategic Health Authorities, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Feb 2015 to 30 Jun 2019
This is the latest provisional experimental publication of NHS vacancy statistics created from administrative data related to published vacancy adverts obtained from NHS Jobs, the main recruitment website for the NHS.
The statistics referred to in this document and the accompanying tables are exploratory and provide information on the administrative data available from NHS Jobs as much as on the recruitment of staff. This publication provides figures which are an insight to recruitment in the NHS but which should be treated with caution, though the expanded time series now allows users to consider relative changes over time.
This publication also includes management information related to vacancies and vacancy rates within the NHS which have been collected and published by NHS Improvement. This makes it a compendium publication. To align with the publication schedule for the NHS Improvement vacancy related data, NHS Digital have brought the publication date forward and made this NHS Vacancy Statistics publication quarterly.
- In June 2019 there were 29,005 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England published, this compares to 31,198 in 2018, 30,493 in 2017, 29,855 in 2016 and 27,799 in 2015.
- Between 1 April 2019 – 30 June 2019 there were 90,992 advertised vacancy full-time equivalents in England. Of these 83 per cent (75,093) were permanent and 17 per cent (15,899) were fixed-term.
- The number of advertised vacancy full-time equivalents varied between the National Workforce Data Set (NWD) Staff Groups. In June 2019 the highest percentage was seen in the ‘Nursing and Midwifery Registered’ Staff Group which accounted for 41 per cent (11,775 out of 29,005) of vacancy full-time equivalents followed by 20 per cent (5,834 out of 29,005) in the ‘Administrative and Clerical’ Staff Group.