For the first time, in 2015/16 Local Enhanced Service (LES) payments made by Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) have been extracted from NHS England's Integrated Single Finance Environment (ISFE) and included in the report; in previous years1, only data extracted from NHAIS were published. These payments account for £267 million 2.
The payments reflected in this report exclude invoices raised by providers that were paid directly from other sources, for example by NHS England Regions or Local Authority Public Health funding: again, the exception being the LES payments made locally by CCGs.
The data (rounded to the nearest £100,000) show the sum of NHS payments made in 2015/16 through the NHS Digital GP Payments system was
- £8,182.6 million across 7,841 general practice service providers; this compares with £7,990.3 million to 7,959 providers in 2014/15.
Of this £8,182.6 million3:
- £4,882.9 million was paid to 4,892 providers with a GMS contract compared to £4,186.9 million to 4,480 GMS providers in 2014/15;
- £3,074.6 million was paid to 2,653 providers with a PMS contract compared to £3,590.6 million to 3,190 PMS providers in 2014/15;
- £225.0 million was paid to 296 providers with a APMS contract compared to £212.8 million to 289 providers in 2014/15.
- By dispensing status:
- £1,766.3 million was paid to 1,111 dispensing providers in 2015/16, compared to £1,728.4 million to 1,118 providers in 2014/15;
- £6,416.3 million was paid to 6,730 non-dispensing providers in 2015/16, compared to £6,262 million to 6,841 providers in 2014/15.
- The mean average sum of NHS payments, to the 7,841 providers in 2015/16 was £1,043,561 compared to a median sum of £915,871. This compares to a mean average sum of £1,003,936 and a median sum of £881,146 paid to the 7,959 providers in 2014/15.
- The average NHS payment, to a provider per registered patient was £142.62 in 2015/16 compared to £141.09 in 2014/15.
1 Data for years prior to 2013/14 are not available.
2 Please note that Local Enhanced Service payments made via the Integrated Single Finance Environment are not available for years prior to 2015/16, as such comparisons between years should be made with caution.
3 Figures may not sum due to rounding.