We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2014-15Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 17 Sep 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2014 to 31 Mar 2015
This reports the NHS payments to General Practice in England by individual provider of general practice services and main payment category which includes Global Sum, the Minimum Practice Income Guarantee (MPIG), Balance of PMS expenditure, Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF) and Enhanced Services.
The data are extracted from the HSCIC GP Payments system (National Health Applications and Infrastructure Services (NHAIS) - also known as "Exeter") and apply to the period 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015. The figures include NHS payments and any deductions made through the HSCIC GP Payments system and were made primarily to GP practices although other providers of general practice services that received payments through the payments system are also included.
The figures reflected in this report exclude invoices raised by general practice service providers that were paid directly from other sources such as NHS England Area Teams or Local Authorities. These payments represent the bulk of the General Practice income but do not represent profits as they do not take into account the costs incurred in delivering primary care services.
The data (rounded to the nearest £100,000) show the sum of NHS payments made in 2014/15 through the HSCIC GP Payments system was £7,990.3 million which was paid to 7,959 general practice service providers; this compares with £7,631.7 million paid to 8,060 providers in 2013/14. Of the payments made in 2014/15:
- £4,186.9 million was paid to 4,480 providers with a GMS contract, compared to £3,943.0 million paid to 4,481 providers in 2013/14
- £3,590.6 million was to 3,190 providers with a PMS contract, compared to £3,503.1 million paid to 3,303 providers in 2013/14
- £212.8 million was to 289 providers with a APMS contract, compared to £185.6 million paid to 276 providers in 2013/14
The mean average NHS payment to the 7,959 providers in 2014/15 was £1,003,936 compared to a median figure of £881,146. This compares to a mean average of £946,859 and a median figure of £827,431 paid to the 8,060 providers in 2013/14.
The mean average NHS payment to a provider for each registered patient was £141 compared to £136 in 2013/14.
- In 2014/15, the 1,118 general practice service providers offering dispensing services were paid £1,728.4 million which compares to £1,653.6 million paid to the 1,143 providers of dispensing services in 2013/14
- The 6,841 providers of non-dispensing services were paid £6,262 million in 2014/15 compared to the £5,978.1 million paid in 2013/14 to 6,917 providers Please note that due to changes in data collection methods, the contract level counts and payments breakdowns shown for 2013/14 are not comparable to those published in NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2013/14.