The NHS Outcomes Framework (NHS OF) is a set of indicators developed by the Department of Health to monitor the health outcomes of adults and children in England. The framework provides an overview of how the NHS is performing. This report provides information about the indicators updated in this release.
The February 2017 release includes both new and updated data. New national data points are available for the following eleven indicators. New data for other breakdowns are also available for some of these indicators:
- 1b Life expectancy at 75 - i. Male ii. Female
- 1.4.i One-year survival from all cancers
- 1.4.ii Five-year survival from all cancers
- 2.2 Employment of people with long-term conditions
- 2.3.i Unplanned hospitalisation for chronic ambulatory care sensitive conditions
- 2.3.ii Unplanned hospitalisation for asthma, diabetes and epilepsy in under 19s
- 2.5.i Employment of people with mental illness
- 3a Emergency admissions for acute conditions that should not usually need hospital admission
- 3.2 Emergency admissions for children with lower respiratory tract infections
- 3.7.ii Tooth extractions due to decay for children admitted as inpatients to hospital
- 5.1 Deaths from venous thromboembolism (VTE) related events
New deprivation data points are available for the following four indicators:
- 1.1 Under 75 mortality rate from cardiovascular disease
- 1.2 Under 75 mortality rate from respiratory disease
- 1.3 Under 75 mortality rate from liver disease
- 1.4 Under 75 mortality rate from cancer
In addition to the new data for indicator 1b (2013-15 reporting period), data for the reporting periods 2001-03 to 2012-14 (inclusive) have been revised. This is due to a methodology change, which has allowed the production of more accurate estimates. Please see the commentary document for more details. The three-year reporting periods prior to 2001-03 for this indicator have been removed from the data file since estimates calculated using the old and new methods cannot be compared. They will not be replaced.
We are working on a new confidence interval methodology for the slope index of inequality presented alongside this indicator and plan to update the data file in the next release.
Indicators 1.4.i and 1.4.ii were due to be updated in the May 2017 release but data became available earlier than expected and are now included in this release.
Indicator 1.6.ii, Five-year survival from all cancers in children, was due to be updated in this release but the source data have not yet become available. We hope to be able to update this in the next release.
The latest Excel and CSV data files, indicator specifications and data quality statements for the above indicators are available from the zip files in the resources section below. Please note that these data files will not be updated when new data for these indicators are released.
The latest Excel and CSV data files, indicator specifications and data quality statements for all indicators are available from the most recent NHS Outcomes Framework publication. A link is provided in the resources section below.
The government's open data policy is about making data easy to find, easy to use and free to access. The data.gov.uk website supports this policy by bringing datasets from government departments and public sector bodies together in one place. You can explore NHS Outcomes Framework indicator data on the data.gov.uk website using the link in the resources section below.