This release presents experimental statistics from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS), using final submissions for January 2016 and provisional submissions for February 2016.
This is the second monthly release from the dataset, which replaces the Mental Health and Learning Disabilities Dataset (MHLDDS). As well as analysis of waiting times, first published in March 2016 using provisional submissions for January 2016, this release includes elements of the reports that were previously included in monthly reports produced from final MHLDDS submissions. It also includes some new measures.
Because of the scope of the changes to the dataset (resulting in the name change to MHSDS and the new name for these monthly reports) it will take time to re-introduce all the measures that were previously part of the MHLDS Monthly Reports. Additional measures will be added to this report in the coming months. Further details about these changes and the consultation that informed were announced in November.
From January 2016 the release includes information on people in children and young people's mental health services, including CAMHS, for the first time. Learning disabilities services have been included since September 2014.
The expansion in the scope of the dataset means that many of the basic measures in this release now cover a wider set of services. We have introduced service level breakdowns for some measures to provide new information to users, but also, importantly, to provide comparability with key measures that were part of the previous monthly release.
This release of final data for January and provisional data for February 2016 comprises:
- This Executive Summary, which presents national-level analysis across the whole dataset and also for some specific service areas and age groups
- A small set of data tables about Access and waiting times in mental health services for the based on provisional data for the period 1 January 2016 to 29 February 2016 (NB, the notes accompanying Table 1 were amended on 28/04/2016)
- A monthly data file which presents 62 measures at national, provider and Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) levels. This month this data is presented in two separate files, one for providers and one for CCGs.
- A set of provider level data quality measures for both months.
- A metadata file, which identifies and describes each measure in the monthly data file, provides the logical construction and, where relevant, references comparable measures from the Monthly MHLDS Reports that are no longer produced.
We will release the reports as experimental statistics until the characteristics of data flowed using the new data standard are understood.
A correction has been made to this publication on 10 September 2018. This amendment relates to statistics in the monthly CSV data file; the specific measures effected are listed in the “Corrected Measures” CSV. All listed measures have now been corrected. NHS Digital apologises for any inconvenience caused.