This release presents experimental statistics from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS), using final submissions for February 2016 and provisional submissions for March 2016.
This is the third monthly release from the dataset, which replaces the Mental Health and Learning Disabilities Dataset (MHLDDS). As well as analysis of waiting times, first published in March 2016 using provisional submissions for January 2016, this release includes elements of the reports that were previously included in monthly reports produced from final MHLDDS submissions. It also includes some new measures.
Because of the scope of the changes to the dataset (resulting in the name change to MHSDS and the new name for these monthly reports) it will take time to re-introduce all possible measures that were previously part of the MHLDS Monthly Reports. Additional measures will be added to this report in the coming months. Further details about these changes and the consultation that informed were announced in November.
From January 2016 the release includes information on people in children and young people's mental health services, including CAMHS, for the first time. Learning disabilities services have been included since September 2014.
The expansion in the scope of the dataset means that many of the basic measures in this release now cover a wider set of services. We have introduced service level breakdowns for some measures to provide new information to users, but also, importantly, to provide comparability with key measures that were part of the previous monthly release.
This release of final data for February and provisional data for March 2016 comprises:
- An Executive Summary, which presents national-level analysis across the whole dataset and also for some specific service areas and age groups
- A small set of data tables about Access and waiting times in mental health services based on provisional data for the period 1 January 2016 to 31 March 2016
- A monthly data file which presents 80 measures at National, Provider and Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) level
- A Currency and Payments (CAP) data file, containing one initial measure on the number of people assigned to each Adult Mental Health Care Cluster. Further measures will be added in future releases
- A set of provider level data quality measures for both months
- A metadata file, which provide contextual information for each measure, including a full description, current uses, method used for analysis and some notes on usage
We will release the reports as experimental statistics until the characteristics of data flowed using the new data standard are understood.
Note: The Executive Summary has been updated on 7 June 2016 with a correction to the Key Facts presented.
A correction has been made to this publication on 10 September 2018. This amendment relates to statistics in the monthly CSV data file; the specific measures effected are listed in the “Corrected Measures” CSV. All listed measures have now been corrected. NHS Digital apologises for any inconvenience caused.