This release presents experimental statistics from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS), using final submissions for April 2016 and provisional submissions for May 2016.
This is the fifth monthly release from the dataset, which replaces the Mental Health and Learning Disabilities Dataset (MHLDDS). As well as analysis of waiting times, first published in March 2016, this release includes elements of the reports that were previously included in monthly reports produced from final MHLDDS submissions.
In this publication a new data file has been produced to present the data for people identified as having learning disabilities and/or autistic spectrum disorder (LDA) characteristics.
Because of the scope of the changes to the dataset (resulting in the name change to MHSDS and the new name for these monthly reports) it will take time to re-introduce all possible measures that were previously part of the MHLDS Monthly Reports.
Additional measures will be added to this report in the coming months. Further details about these changes and the consultation that informed were announced in November.
From January 2016 the release includes information on people in children and young people's mental health services, including CAMHS, for the first time. Learning disabilities and autism services have been included since September 2014.
This release of final data for April 2016 comprises:
- An Executive Summary, which presents national-level analysis across the whole dataset and also for some specific service areas and age groups
- Data tables about access and waiting times in mental health services for the based on provisional data for the period 1 March 2016 to 31 May 2016.
- A monthly data file which presents 92 measures for mental health, learning disability and autism services at National, Provider and Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) level.
- A Currency and Payments (CAP) data file, containing three measures relating to people assigned to Adult Mental Health Care Clusters. Further measures will be added in future releases.
- A data file containing the measures relating to people with learning disabilities and/or autism.
- Exploratory analysis of the coverage and completeness of access and waiting times statistics for people entering the Early Intervention in Psychosis pathway.
- A set of provider level data quality measures for both months. The report comprises of validity measures for various data items at National and Provider level. From the publication of April data, a coverage report is included showing the number of providers submitting each month and number of records submitted.
- A metadata file, which provide contextual information for each measure, including a full description, current uses, method used for analysis and some notes on usage.
We will release the reports as experimental statistics until the characteristics of data flowed using the new data standard are understood.
A correction has been made to this publication on 10 September 2018. This amendment relates to statistics in the monthly CSV data file; the specific measures effected are listed in the “Corrected Measures” CSV. All listed measures have now been corrected. NHS Digital apologises for any inconvenience caused.