Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics, Final September, Provisional October 2019Experimental statistics, Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 13 Dec 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Clinical Commissioning Groups, Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs), Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Regions, Provider, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships
- Date Range:
- 01 Jul 2019 to 31 Oct 2019
This publication provides the most timely picture available of people using NHS funded secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services in England. These are experimental statistics which are undergoing development and evaluation. This information will be of use to people needing access to information quickly for operational decision making and other purposes. More detailed information on the quality and completeness of these statistics is made available later in our Mental Health Bulletin: Annual Report publication series.
The Data Collection Board (DCB) has now approved the decommissioning of the interim collection of Early Intervention in Psychosis (EIP) waiting times information, known as NHS England Unify Collection within this publication. Waiting times for EIP for October 2019 activity onwards are now monitored using data from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS).
An issue was identified and corrected in the Access and Waits / EIP code that derives CCG. This does not impact national figures, but the corrected code now more accurately assigns activity to CCGs, reducing activity in the Unknown CCG category. The correction has been applied to this publication and notifications will be made or changes applied to previously published figures as soon as possible.
A correction has been made to this publication on 07 May 2020. This amendment relates to the Data Quality VODIM files; the specific measures effected are listed in the Metadata file available in the below link. All listed measures have now been corrected. The provisional Data Quality VODIM file has been removed as it is now superseded by the Final data published in the following month. NHS Digital apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Women in contact with mental health services who were new or expectant mothers analysis was added to this publication 08 June 2020.
- At the end of September, there were 1,342,125 people in contact with services; the majority of these (1,048,354) were in adult mental health services. There were 218,056 people in contact with children and young people’s mental health services and 121,648 in learning disabilities and autism services.
- 306,684 new referrals were received into services during September and 1,743,266 care contacts were attended.
- 21,524 people were subject to the Mental Health Act at the end of September, including 15,328 people detained in hospital.