Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics Final December 2019, Provisional January 2020Official statistics, Experimental statistics
- Publication Date:
- 12 Mar 2020
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Clinical Commissioning Groups, Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs), Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Mental Health Trusts, Provider, Regions, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships
- Date Range:
- 01 Oct 2019 to 31 Jan 2020
This publication provides the most timely picture available of people using NHS funded secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services in England. These are experimental statistics which are undergoing development and evaluation. This information will be of use to people needing access to information quickly for operational decision making and other purposes. More detailed information on the quality and completeness of these statistics is made available later in our Mental Health Bulletin: Annual Report publication series.
The Data Collection Board (DCB) has now approved the decommissioning of the interim collection of Early Intervention in Psychosis (EIP) waiting times information, known as NHS England Unify Collection within this publication. Waiting times for EIP for October 2019 activity onwards are now monitored using data from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS).
From April 2020 NHS Digital is implementing a multiple submission window model for MHSDS which will enable the resubmission of data throughout the financial year. Following the implementation of the multiple submission window model providers will optionally be able to submit/resubmit data for each month of 2019-20 from April 2020 to 21 May 2020.
The opportunity to resubmit data for each month of 2019-20 will impact on the statistics already published for the 2019-20 year. It is likely that the statistics for each month will be republished; however the publication method is as yet undecided and will be proportionate to the changes; further details will be communicated closer to the time.
Please be aware of the potential impact of the multiple submission window model on previously published data and use these statistics with reference to it. Further information can be found on the NHS Digital Multiple submission window model for MHSDS webpage linked below.
Women in contact with mental health services who were new or expectant mothers analysis was added to this publication 08 June 2020.
- At the end of December, there were 1,377,166 people in contact with services; the majority of these (1,064,473) were in adult mental health services. There were 235,706 people in contact with children and young people’s mental health services and 126,114 in learning disabilities and autism services.
- 292,382 new referrals were received into services during December and 1,598,739 care contacts were attended.
- 21,763 people were subject to the Mental Health Act at the end of December, including 15,575 people detained in hospital.