We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
HES-DID Data Linkage Report - Provisional Summary Statistics, April 2014 to March 2015 (Experimental Statistics)Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 7 Aug 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2014 to 31 Mar 2015
This is the latest statistical publication of linked HES (Hospital Episode Statistics) and DID (Diagnostic Imaging Data set) data held by the Health and Social Care Information Centre.
The HES-DID linkage provides the ability to undertake national (within England) analysis along acute patient pathways to understand typical imaging requirements for given procedures, and/or the outcomes after particular imaging has been undertaken, thereby enabling a much deeper understanding of outcomes of imaging and to allow assessment of variation in practice.
This publication aims to highlight to users the availability of this updated linkage and provide users of the data with some standard information to assess their analysis approach against.
The two data sets have been linked using specific patient identifiers collected in HES and DID. The linkage allows the data sets to be linked from April 2012 when the DID data was first collected; however this report focuses on patients who were present in the either data set in the period 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015 only. For DID this is provisional 2014-15 data. For HES this is provisional 2014-15 data.
The linkage used for this publication was created on 7th July 2015 and released together with this publication on 7th August2015. The linkage utilises all historic HES patient identifying data up to 22 May 2015 and all patient identifying DID data submitted prior to 28 June 2015.
In the period 01 April 2014 to 31 March 2015:
- 38.4 million 1 Imaging procedures were recorded in the Diagnostic Imaging Data set as having taken place. It was possible to link 35.4 million of these records to individuals in the Hospital Episode Statistics data set.
- Just under 6 million patients2 who were admitted to hospital at least once were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period.
- 6.8 million patients who had at least one accident and emergency attendance were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period.
- Just over 11 million patients who had at least one outpatient appointment were identified as having at least one imaging procedure during the same period.
Please note: The data quality report which accompanies this publication was updated on 26th August 2015 to correct the match rate. The correct match rate is 95.83%. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this change please contact firstname.lastname@example.org