We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Healthcare Workforce Statistics - March 2019, ExperimentalOfficial statistics, Experimental statistics
- Publication Date:
- 29 Aug 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Country, Primary Care Organisations, GP practices, Dental practices, Pharmacies and clinics, Regions
- Date Range:
- 30 Sep 2015 to 31 Mar 2019
This is an overview document covering the Healthcare Workforce as at March 2019 and refers to numbers of staff in three areas:
i) Those directly employed by the NHS in Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS)
ii) GPs and their staff
iii) A proportion of the staff working in Independent Healthcare Providers (see key facts below).
More information on all of these areas are available within the accompanying documents and also via the 'Related Links' section below. This includes a link to the Independent Healthcare Provider Workforce report.
We are now reviewing the content, format and purpose of this publication and welcome your feedback. In particular we are considering whether it would be useful to provide something more like a data hub to help guide users around the workforce publications including interactive visualisations rather than continuing with the current publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating Healthcare Workforce Statistics as the subject heading, via email@example.com
- As at 31 March 2019 there were 1,259,783 full time equivalent (FTE) staff working for the NHS, an increase of 30,258 (2.5 per cent) since March 2018.
- 1,128,552 FTE staff were working for NHS Hospital and Community Health Services in England, an increase of 27,623 (2.5 per cent) since March 2018. This covers staff working in NHS Trusts and CCGs, Central Bodies and Support Organisations.
- 131,231 FTE staff were working in General Practice, an increase of 2,636 (2.0 per cent) since March 2018.
- In addition, there were 49,641 FTE staff working for Independent Healthcare Providers in March 2019, based on those organisations that provided data to NHS Digital or whose data could be extracted from the ESR.