We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
General and Personal Medical Services, England - 2004-2014, As at 30 SeptemberOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 25 Mar 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- GP practices, Dental practices, Pharmacies and clinics, Regional health body, Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Date Range:
- 30 Sep 2004 to 30 Sep 2014
A detailed view of the General Practice workforce including GPs by type and practice staff.
The general practice census is collected each year and records numbers and details of GPs in England along with information on their practices, staff, patients, and the services they provide.
The detailed results contain further data tables for September 2014 for England, by Commissioning Region, Health Education England Local Education and Training Board, NHS England Area Team and Clinical Commissioning Groups.
Practice level results are available within the Practice Level Indicator Tool and within the associated CSV file. Anonymised GP level results are also available in CSV file format.
This report is one of three that make up the NHS Staff 2004 - 2014 publication, along with:
Non Medical staff 2004 - 2014
Medical and Dental staff 2004 - 2014
NHS Staff 2004 - 2014 Overview report
- There are 36,920 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) GPs, an increase of 626 (1.7 per cent) since 2013 and an increase of 5,899 (19.0 per cent) since 2004 (an average annual increase of 1.8 per cent).
- There are 15,062 FTE Nurses, an increase of 119 (0.8 per cent) since 2013, and 73,334 FTE other practice staff, a rise of 1,133 (1.6 per cent) since 2013.