We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - December 2014, Experimental StatisticsOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 30 Jan 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Primary Care Organisations, Care Trusts, Regions, Country, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Local Authorities, Community health services, Hospital Trusts, NHS Trusts
- Date Range:
- 01 Dec 2014 to 31 Dec 2014
On 25 February 2015 the report 'FGM - December 2014, Experimental Statistics, Report.pdf' and the file 'FGM - December 2014, Experimental Statistics, Data Tables.xlsx' were replaced to allow for a revision to a title on table 3.1 and to correct a footnote attached to table 3.1. This change was to help clarify the definition of the table. No changes have been made to any of the figures within the table. HCSIC apologises for any inconvenience caused.
The Female Genital Mutilation Prevalence Dataset (ISB 1610) is a monthly return of data from acute hospital providers in England. It is an aggregated return of the incidence of FGM including women who have been previously identified and are currently being treated (for FGM related or non FGM related conditions as at the end of the month) and newly identified women within the reporting period. It has been a mandated collection from 1 September 2014.
For the month of December 2014:
- 131 of the 157 eligible acute trusts in England submitted signed off data.
- 2,146 active cases1 and 558 newly identified2 cases of FGM were reported nationally.
For the period of September 2014 to December 2014:
- 1946 newly identified cases2 of FGM reported nationally.
- 47 newly identified2 cases of FGM reported nationally were under the age of 18.
- Patients identified as having a history of any FGM type prior to the reporting period and still being actively seen/treated for FGM-related conditions or any other non-related condition at the end of the month. Note: does not include those patients within NUMBER OF PATIENTS WITH FGM NEWLY IDENTIFIED IN REPORTING PERIOD (i.e. identified within this reporting period).
- Patients first identified during the reporting period as having undergone FGM. This will include those diagnosed/identified within the provider within the month.