The Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Enhanced Dataset (SCCI 2026) is a repository for individual level data collected by healthcare providers in England, including acute hospital providers, mental health providers and GP practices.
The Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Enhanced Dataset (SCCI 2026) supports the Department of Health's FGM Prevention Programme by presenting a national picture of the prevalence of FGM in England.
• There were 1,675 individual(1) women and girls who had an attendance where FGM was identified or a procedure related to FGM was undertaken in the period April 2018 to June 2018. These accounted for 2,075 attendances(2) reported at NHS trusts and GP practices where FGM was identified or a procedure related to FGM was undertaken.
• There were 1,015 newly recorded(3) women and girls in the period April 2018 to June 2018. Newly recorded means this is the first time they have appeared in this dataset. It does not indicate how recently the FGM was undertaken, nor does it mean that this is the woman or girl's first attendance for FGM.
(1) Individuals refers to all patients in the reporting period where FGM was identified or a procedure for FGM was undertaken. Each patient is only counted once.
(2) Total Attendances refers to all attendances in the reporting period where FGM was identified or a procedure for FGM was undertaken. Women and girls may have one or more attendances in the reporting period. This category includes both newly recorded and previously identified women and girls.
(3) Newly Recorded refers to an individual’s first appearance in the FGM dataset. Newly recorded does not necessarily mean that the attendance is the woman’s or girl’s first attendance for FGM.
Last edited: 16 September 2021 12:39 pm