We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Data on Written Complaints in the NHS - 2007-08Official statistics, National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 21 Aug 2008
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, GP practices, Dental practices, Pharmacies and clinics, Community health services
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 1997 to 31 Mar 2008
The NHS complaints procedure is the national statutorily based mechanism for dealing with patients' complaints and all NHS organisations are required to operate the procedure. This survey is a count of all written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients received between 1 April 2007 and 31 March 2008.
Hospital and Community Health Services
- the number of written complaints about hospital and community health services has fallen by 4 per cent from 90,801 in 2006-07 to 87,080 in 2007-08
- in 2007-08, 75 per cent of complaints were concluded within the target time limit of 25 days. This achievement has been fairly constant since 2004-05 even though the target time for concluding complaints was extended from 20 to 25 days in September 2006
- the number of complaints 'still being pursued' accounted for just under 4 per cent of all complaints. Although a small amount of the total complaints, this doubled this year to 3,344
General Practice (including dental) Health Services
there has been an increase (3 per cent) in the number of written complaints about general practice (including dental) health services from 42,592 in 2006-07 to 43,942 in 2007-08