We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Data on written complaints in the NHS 2018-19 Quarter 3National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 7 Mar 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospital and Community Health Services, NHS Health Boards, Health Education England Region, Hospital Trusts, Hospital Sites, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts, GP practices, Regional health body, Regions, Dental practices, Community health services, Pharmacies and clinics, Clinical Commissioning Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 31 Dec 2018
This quarterly collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients. Data are collected via the KO41a and are for complaints about NHS Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS) in England. The data relates to the complaints arrangements introduced in April 2009.
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure.
As well as quarterly reports NHS Digital also produce an annual report, a link to the 2017-18 annual NHS written complaints publication is provided below which also includes complaints about GP and Dental services.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating 'NHS Written Complaints' as the subject heading, via email@example.com or 0300 303 5678
• There were 28,019 new HCHS written complaints in the third quarter of 2018-19.
• Over the period 27,607 complaints were resolved, of these 9,209 (33.4 per cent) were upheld, 8,521 (30.9 per cent) were partially upheld and 9,877 (35.8 per cent) were not upheld.