We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Data on written complaints in the NHS - 2017-18 [PAS]National statistics
- Publication Date:
- 6 Sep 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Strategic Health Authorities, Primary Care Organisations, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospital and Community Health Services, NHS Health Boards, Health Education England Region, Hospital Trusts, Hospital Sites, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts, GP practices, Regional health body, Regions, Dental practices, Community health services, Pharmacies and clinics, Clinical Commissioning Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2007 to 31 Mar 2018
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure.
This annual collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients, received between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018 .
Data is published at national, regional, organisational and site/practice levels (where appropriate)
Also published on the same day is the 2018-19 Quarter 1 data for HCHS complaints, a link to this report is in the 'related links' section below.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating 'NHS Written Complaints' as the subject heading, via email@example.com or 0300 303 5678
• The total number of all reported written complaints in 2017-18 was 208,626. This is the equivalent to 4,012 written complaints a week or 572 complaints per day.
• The total number of all HCHS written complaints was 113,989 in 2017-18. This is a decrease of 3,847 (3.3 per cent) from last year (117,836).
• The total number of all reported Primary Care written complaints has increased by 4,058 (4.5 per cent) from 90,579 in 2016-17 to 94,637 in 2017-18.