Data on written complaints in the NHS 2018-19 Quarter 2
This is part of Data on Written Complaints in the NHSNational statistics
- Publication Date:
- 6 Dec 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospital Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, NHS Trusts, Regional health body, Regions, Hospital and Community Health Services
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2015 to 30 Sep 2018
This quarterly collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients. Data are collected via the KO41a and are for complaints about NHS Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS) in England. The data relates to the complaints arrangements introduced in April 2009.
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure.
As well as quarterly reports NHS Digital also produce an annual report, a link to the 2017-18 annual NHS written complaints publication is provided below which also includes complaints about GP and Dental services.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating 'NHS Written Complaints' as the subject heading, via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 303 5678
We hope this information is helpful and would be grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete a short customer satisfaction survey (the link is in the 'related link' section below).
• There were 29,613 new HCHS written complaints in the second quarter of 2018-19.
• Over the period 27,701 complaints were resolved, of these 8,999 (32.5 per cent) were upheld, 8,562 (30.9 per cent) were partially upheld and 10,140 (36.6 per cent) were not upheld.