CSDS sets out national definitions for the extraction of data about children and adults including:
- personal and demographic
- social and personal circumstances
- breastfeeding and nutrition
- care event and screening activity
- diagnoses, including long-term conditions and disabilities
- scored assessments
These activities could take place in settings such as health centres, Sure Start centres, day care facilities, schools or community centres, mobile facilities, or a patient's own home.
CSDS v1.5 is the current version of the data set; headline changes from the previous version include:
- 4 new tables
- Additional data items added (such as ‘Primary Data Collection System in Use’)
- Updates to value lists for some data items (such as ‘Person Relationship (Main Carer)’)
- Inclusion of new Assessment Scales (such as ‘Karnofsky Performance Status Scale’)
- Move from data submissions on the BSP to SDCS Cloud
The legal basis for CSDS
The Community Services Data Set v1.5 Information Standard is the specification of a patient-level data extraction (output) standard.
CSDS v1.5 DCB1069 Amd 95/2018 was accepted as an information standard by the Data Coordination Board (DCB) and an Information Standards Notice ISN) was published on 16 October 2019.
The CSDS v1.5 ISN originally required that community information systems be ready for local data collection to commence from 1 April 2020; COVID-19 resulted in the start of local data collection being delayed to 1 July 2020. As such, national submissions of CSDS v1.5 data started in August 2020.
The associated ISN and standard documents can be found by reading the CSDS v1.5 DCB1069 publication.
NHS Digital has been directed by the secretary of state under section 254 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012; to establish and operate a system for the collection and analysis of the CSDS.
When we receive such a direction to collect information, we issue a Data Provision Notice to the appropriate providers of the required data.
The CSDS v1.0 ISN Amd 57/2016 is still available on the same DCB1069 publication page under the previous releases sub-heading.
Last edited: 4 May 2021 10:47 am