We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Patient Level Information and Costing Systems (PLICS) Ambulance Data Set
Data Provision Notice for the Patient Level Information and Costing Systems (PLICS) data collection required to be submitted by designated Ambulance providers.
Overview of the collection
The information gathered from this collection will be used to enable NHS England and NHS Improvement's Costing Transformation Programme to more effectively perform its pricing and licensing functions under the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It will:
- inform the rules and guidance provided on the payment arrangements for ambulance services
- inform any future proposals for the payment arrangements for ambulance services
- inform new approaches and other changes to the design of the currencies used to price NHS services
- contribute to NHS England and NHS Improvement’s strategic objective of a single national cost collection
- inform the relationship between provider characteristics and cost
- help trusts to maximise use of their resources and improve efficiencies, as required by the provider licence
- identify the relationship between incident characteristics and cost
- support an approach to benchmarking for regulatory purposes.
Under sections 255(1), and 256(2)(a) of the Health and Social Care Act 2012, NHS Digital has received a Mandatory Request from Monitor (now known as NHS England and NHS Improvement).
Scope of the collection
Ambulance providers as per Annex B of the Mandatory Request (above) are required to submit activity and financial data as per Annex A of the Mandatory Request.
Period of the collection
This is a single annual collection exercise from each Trust listed at Annex B of the Mandatory Request.
The data collection is scheduled to take place from 9am on 11 January 2021 to 5pm on 29 January 2021 inclusive. Data can only be submitted within this time-period.